Sunday, October 19, 2008

Food for Thought



I harvested the last of my container garden this evening (although there are a few lingering tomatoes). A cucumber and a cantaloupe that both ended up with a funny crook neck. This is the only melon I produced from either the watermelon or cantaloupe vines I planted. Ah well.

So I turned on the radio this morning to the local radio station (KDVS), and heard a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., followed by some amazing gospel music. I love local radio. The speech was the "Give Us the Ballot" address, May 17, 1957, given at the Prayer Pilgrimage for Freedom in Washington, D. C. The most interesting thing was how relevant and moving his words still are today (the italics are audience interjections):

"We need a leadership that is calm and yet positive. This is no day for the rabble-rouser, whether he be Negro or white. (All right) We must realize that we are grappling with the most weighty social problem of this nation, and in grappling with such a complex problem there is no place for misguided emotionalism. (All right, That’s right) . . . if we will become bitter and indulge in hate campaigns, the new order which is emerging will be nothing but a duplication of the old order. (Yeah, That's all right)"

"These men so often have a high blood pressure of words and an anemia of deeds. [laughter]"

"We must follow nonviolence and love. (Yes, Lord). Now, I’m not talking about a sentimental, shallow kind of love. (Go ahead) I’m not talking about eros, which is a sort of aesthetic, romantic love. I’m not even talking about philia, which is a sort of intimate affection between personal friends. But I'm talking about agape. (Yes sir) I'm talking about the love of God in the hearts of men. (Yes) I’m talking about a type of love which will cause you to love the person who does the evil deed while hating the deed that the person does. (Go ahead) We've got to love. (Oh yes)"

"We must also avoid the temptation of being victimized with a psychology of victors. "

Besides the incredible content of his words, listen to his vocabulary and turn of phrase! Anemia of deeds. Misguided emotionalism. Victimized with a psychology of victors. I got chills while listening to him speak. Read the whole speech here. Listen to him here. There's really nothing like a good orator.

No comments: