Monday, June 10, 2013

Maine, Revisited


People that build their houses inland,
   People that buy a plot of ground
Shaped like a house, and build a house there,
   Far from the sea-board, far from the sound

Of water sucking the hollow ledges,
   Tons of water striking the shore,--
What do they long for, as I long for
   One salt smell of the sea once more?

People the waves have not awakened,
   Spanking the boats at the harbour's head,
What do they long for, as I long for,--
   Starting up in my inland bed,

Beating the narrow walls, and finding
   Neither a window nor a door,
Screaming to God for death by drowning,--
   One salt taste of the sea once more?

- "Inland" by Edna St. Vincent Millay




Portland and Monhegan Island, Maine, May 2013


1 comment:

Nicole said...

ooh, just gorgeous! Reminds me a little of the northern california coast, one of my favorite places. Also, I think I read that poem when it came into my inbox as poem-a-day, but for some reason I like it much more reading it here! Funny how that happens.