Sunday, November 22, 2009

Planty Porch

A few months ago I was asked to judge a container garden contest for the Powelton Village neighborhood in West Philly. The neighborhood had used funds to buy decorative pots for all interested applicants in an effort to beautify the neighborhood. Each household with a pot then planted the pot (or pots) all summer and in August they were all judged (by me!) with a cash reward given to the top three contestants. Below you will find the winner:

Apparently this person wins every year, which doesn't surprise me because the pots were all lovingly tended and nicely placed. They even put some sticks and statues and other props in to add to the aesthetic appeal and make the design cohesive.

I haven't lived in any one place for long enough to establish a porch garden, but there are examples of them all over the city. I'm going to try to take more pictures (next spring, I guess) so you can see what the creative plant people in Philadelphia can do with the concrete space around their house. It's incredible, I tell you.

I would love to sit on that porch with a cup of tea and a book. Lovely.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Great porch gardens!

Check out this one:

http://www.giveplantsachance.com/2009/11/hanging-gardens-of-philadelphia.html

Susan

Era said...

I saw that, it's so awesome! (I haven't seen it in real life, just on your blog . . . )

Nicole said...

ooh, look who is a elite plant person in Philadelphia--getting selected as plant judge even! Very cool! And beautiful porch garden!