Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Grow Your Own



I'm trying my second round of veggies, this time using home grown fertilizer (worm poop). I'm also going to experiment with a little thing called watering. We'll see how it goes.



I never updated you on the status of the last veggies, simply because they were pathetic and bug-infested. But with these new-fangled changes, things should be looking up.

I got the starts from the professor I used to TA for, who gave me the first round as well. Free plants, woohoo!



I then set about to harvest my worm poop. This is how it goes:

  • Set out a tarp and separate the compost into small piles.
  • Place it in the sun.
  • The worms will wiggle to the bottom of the piles to get away from the sun, and you can scoop the compost off the top, relatively worm-free.
  • Repeat until the piles are too small and filled with worms to do anything more with them.
  • Replace the worms and add more newspaper to fill the bin.



The worm bin, post-harvest.

Here's what I anticipate for spring:


Tomatoes and green onions



Peppers and eggplant



Cilantro and peas (these will actually have to be replaced because they are winter crops). In the back there is more eggplant and basil.



More cilantro and calendula flowers (edible).

Wish me luck!

No comments: