Monday, February 19, 2007

Ask and you will receive . .

As I entered the greenhouse today I was greeted with more gerberas! What a fabulous sight.


My mother also e-mailed today to share her "winter garden" with me, which consists mostly of plants that I have given her or that are actually mine but I couldn't fit in the car when I moved out here. This is a Veltheimia ("Red Hot Poker") that I brought home when I worked at Longwood Gardens in PA last year. There are two in my parents' house, both blooming beautifully.


This is our collection of african violets; my favorites are the mini violets, though they are growing really fast and look like regular sized african violets at this point.


And finally, the hoya ("tortellini plant") that I gave my mom to match the one her sister Aunt Emmy has in her house in rural PA. I absolutely love hoyas, I have two in my room here and I plan on amassing a collection of them. They are called "waxflowers" and you can see why because those little bundles of flowers seem to be sculpted from wax, they're so strange and perfect. Hoyas are actually tropical relatives of the milkweed plant, for all you plant nerds out there.

No comments: