Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Musak

When I work in the greenhouse I listen to my darling little priceless iPod Shuffle. How do I love thee. I've been listening to only a few artists lately:


Dolly Parton - She is the most amazing woman. See the side bar for a link to an interview with her on NPR. I'm pretty obsessed with her right now and I've been listening to her album "The Grass is Blue" non-stop and I just downloaded "Little Sparrows" and listened to it for the first time yesterday. I love it and I love her. Here's an amazing cover of "Shine" by Collective Soul from "Little Sparrows."



Iron and Wine -
"She says if I leave before you darling
Don't you waste me in the ground
I lay smiling like our sleeping children
One of us will die inside these arms

Eyes wide open
Naked as we came
One will spread our
Ashes round the yard"

-Iron and Wine, "Naked as We Came"



Cat Stevens - His lyrics don't really translate well to the typed page; they end up sounding incredibly corny and stupid actually. For example, "I'd like to live in a wigwam/Yes I'd like to live in a wigwam/I'd like to live in a wigwam and/Dance round the totem pole." Deep, very, very deep. But when I hear the music and that beautiful tortured voice I almost cry because of the passion and feeling (sometimes I do). This is my favorite Cat Stevens song, "Father and Son."


Joni Mitchell -
"Blue, songs are like tattoos
You know I've been to sea before
Crown and anchor me
Or let me sail away

Hey blue, here is a song for you
Ink on a pin
Underneath the skin
An empty space to fill in"

- Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

No comments: