Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pin me

Before I moved to Davis, heck, before I even accepted their offer of admission to the University, I checked out the crafting opportunities here. I thought I would have to take classes for credit to get in my art quota, but lo and behold, there was something called
The Craft Center

(the heavens open up and there are angels singing). It's my saving grace; without it, I think I would go crazy with the science and the studying. So I signed up to volunteer there immediately and I never regretted it. As a volunteer I can take free classes, have free access to the labs, and get discounts on supplies, it's sweet. Plus, I'm exposed to so many new crafts! In the last six months I've learned to screen print, make small stained glass pieces, weave, and enamel. I've also picked up a lot of information about other crafts because one of my duties there is to check out tools to people working in the labs. I know what a square is, and a lathe tool, and router bits, and heddle hooks, blah blah blah, etc. My knowledge of craft paraphernalia has increased exponentially.



Anyway, I made these pins there last quarter with the button maker that they keep behind the counter. I kind of went crazy with it, until one of the managers reminded me that I should probably pay for each pin that I made. Then I stopped. But not before I made this adorable little series of bug and polka dot pins. I would love to have a button maker (a 1" one so I could make leeeeetle buttons to put everywhere!) but I looked on e-bay and the cheapest ones were still over $200. So I'll have to be content with illicitly making them during my volunteer shifts.