Thursday, July 12, 2007

Quilting and Sewing and Weaving, Oh My!

My parents are asleep in preparation for their flight, so I think I can safely show off my finished "shawl" and some other works in progress.



This is an overshot weave called "Mexican Blooming Flower." I'm still not well-versed enough in the weaving lingo to give any more details, other than to say that the loom is a 4 shaft jack loom. I could look up the pattern if anyone is interested.



I wanted it to be a shawl, but as usual it is too short and a little too wide. The overshot pattern means that there are two strands going across the loom at once, one that is doing simply over-under-over to hold everything in place, and one that is a contrasting color doing the pattern. The pattern strands are just a bit too loose and I would be worried that they would catch on things if it was actually worn as a shawl. So I think it's more of a wall-hanging or something. But it looks pretty cool and it's really graphic, which I didn't actually expect.



NEXT!



This is the log cabin quilt that I've been working on for about two or three years now. It's my first full length quilt (it will be 6x6 feet) and I'm doing all the sewing by hand.



Log cabin squares can be rotated to create lots of patterns within patterns. Mine is going to be several large diamonds created by the blue-green and red-orange colors. And if all goes right, it will go from dark on the outside to light on the inside, as well as the same gradient within each square. If that doesn't make sense, don't worry, I'm going to try to lay it all out someday and take pictures.



I think the squares below are working out the best. The other ones need to be rotated and re-evaluated, I just threw them together to give you the general gist of the thing.



NEXT!

On the fourth of July a few friends and I decided to make sundresses. The only fabric I had that was big enough for any of the patterns was this ridiculous one. I got all the pieces cut out, but I haven't started to sew any of them together yet. It was over a hundred degrees on that day and I reached a serious breaking point sometime around 6 pm when I was kneeling on the floor trying to pin my pieces together and sweat was just dripping from my head. Intense. So hopefully it will eventually get finished, I'll keep my fingers crossed.



There you go, that's pretty much all of my crafting activity for the past few months!

6 comments:

Carlene said...

The weaving is Gorgeous! Your mom is gonna cry. And the quilt! I just love the log cabin pattern; I can't believe you're doing it by hand (well, yes I can).

Cornflower said...

Weaving , quilting, dressmaking - wow! I love the colours in the quilt, and your sundress is going to be dazzling.

MeesheMama said...

You have GOT to be kidding me. Who ARE you? I barely find time to eat.

Seriously, though, they are gorgeous. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

You've been busy. That is a very pretty wall hanging. Love your log cabin quilt too :)

Anonymous said...

Please forgive me for notifying you here but I couldn't find your email. You won yesterday's HP prize drawing over on my blog. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I have been having such fun deciding where to display my gorgeous "shawl". It's now on the dining room table but may be moved to a brighter location. XOXOX