Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chinatown, SF

I'm going on a three day camping field trip for my CA Plant Communities class this weekend, but I thought I'd share some cool photos from last weekend quickly before I leave. A friend from Philly was visiting her brother in SF and I met them for a fabulous Sunday outing to China town. We had a great time and I've decided that Sundays are the absolute best days to visit the city. No traffic, less people, but everything is still open. It's great.

We wandered around the supermarkets a lot and found artichokes (regular sized) for 3/$1! We couldn't believe our luck and immediately bought them and had two each for a pre-dinner snack. Mmmm, indulgent.




It's always fascinating to see all the dried seafood just hanging out in huge tupperwares. We saw a lot of shark fins which was particularly upsetting after reading the April issue of National Geographic all about the demise of the world's fisheries and the lack of sustainability of most modern fishing practices. Sharks are often caught for their fins and then thrown back into the ocean to bleed to death or be eaten alive. Shudder.





Check out the prices on these dried scallops (and the shark fins above)! They're just hanging out in the open for anyone to steal. I wonder what it would feel like to swipe a pocket full of hundred dollar scallops.


We had lunch at this amazing vegetarian restaurant called Lucky Creation. Apparently it's one of the only veggie restaurants in Chinatown, which is odd. But we had the best fake lemon chicken I have ever eaten. And look at the little carrot stars and flowers in the curry stir fry! Ack!




Well, I'm off to the Mendocino coast to see some redwoods and evergreen forests and the Mendocino pygmy forest. Maybe I'm a huge plant nerd, but I've been wanting to see a pygmy forest for a while now (they have them in the Pine Barrens in NJ and I've never been, I didn't even know about them until recently). So be prepared for many pictures of hundred year old trees that come up to my chin. Yessssss.

1 comment:

Cornflower said...

Have a great weekend!