Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bucknell University, Class of 2007

Two weekends ago, my younger sister graduated from college. I flew home for the event and it was an amazing weekend. I hadn't thought about it because I was caught up in my own life, but that was her very last weekend at college. We helped her party and helped her move out of her off-campus house, then we all drove home. I didn't expect to feel anything actually, but when they started playing "Pomp and Circumstance," and the graduates came filing by in their robes and hats, I definitely teared up. It wasn't because I was nostalgic for my own college days, I'm happy to be moving on with my life (and to be honest, I just took a year off and went right back, so what's to miss?). I guess it affected me because it represents the end of an era, and the beginning of a new phase in the life of our family. Both my sister and I are college graduates now, and we're starting the rest of our lives. I just felt a mixture of sorrow and excitement, as well as a kind of camaraderie with my sister and parents that I haven't felt before in quite the same way. We're all officially adults now, it feels like we've moved on to a higher plane of understanding with one another (whether or not that's actually true remains to be seen). But I'm so happy I went back and got to experience that feeling of oneness with my family.

Here are some random pictures from the weekend:











No comments: