Monday, September 15, 2008

Orange = Not a Quail



This month at Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge we had to wear orange. Why? Because it's hunting season. And what is there to hunt on the refuge? Quail. There wasn't much hunting where I grew up, so the fact that I have to wear orange to prevent being mistaken for a quail is probably the funniest thing ever.



Our trips are getting shorter because fewer plants are flowering and fruiting at this time. But it's still hot enough that we need to take a siesta in the middle of the day to avoid the heat. This means that we start our day at 6am and end it at sunset.



One more trip in October (a short one) and I will be done with Ash Meadows for the field season. What a great job.


Cordylanthus tecopensis - closely related to my study species for my thesis, Cordylanthus palmatus.

No comments: