Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Squares

I've decided to design our community garden plot using "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew. The grid appeals to my science /math brain and I don't want to leave too much empty space because our plot is tiny to begin with.



So last Friday I used cotton string to make the grid and planted potatoes, sugar snap peas, carrots, swiss chard, beets, leaf lettuce and flowers. I know it's already too late for potatoes and peas but I will plug ahead regardless.



Here are the specs on what I planted:
  • Golden beet
  • Emerald oak lettuce
  • Oxheart carrot
  • Dwarf grey sugar pea
  • Fordhook giant swiss chard
  • Giant strawflower
  • Double pinwheel marigold
  • Zinnia
M and I also built a trellis for the upcoming tomatoes. Don't laugh at it. It looked better in my head.



The temperature has been in the 90s for the past four days and we've been running out to the garden to water every day. Thankfully tonight it's going to thunderstorm so we should have spring back tomorrow. But this little taste of summer has been oh so sweet.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Supporting the tomatoes is always a challenge---Mike made some hoops for ours a couple years ago, but the openings are almost too small to get the tomatoes out. Your trellis looks good though---there's a gardener at our garden who grows tons of tomatoes and uses a trellis system to great effect.

Michael said...

That's SO funny! I'm doing that this year too! Did we talk about this already?