Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Celebrating

Happy Festival of Lights everyone!



This is the extent of our holiday decorating right now. There might be one or two more things to go up, but I'm not trying too hard this year because I'm not going to be in Philly for the holidays. In fact, I won't even be in the country because I'm going to Poland! That's right, Poland . . . in the winter.



My family is Polish on my mother's mother's side (making me one quarter Polish), and we still keep up some of the Polish traditions (like Wigilia and pierogies). We're going for about ten days, over Christmas and New Year's, mostly because my younger cousin is coming and that's the timing of her winter break from school. We leave in a little over a week so there will probably be a bit of a hiatus on the blog, but many, many pictures when I return. I'm really excited about this, I've been thinking about going for a few years and I'm excited about going at this time of year because this is when the Polish traditions that I keep occur. We're doing a cooking class and we'll be a part of the Christmas celebration so we can see how it differs from our American-ized version of it. You can be sure I'll have a lot to share when I return!

3 comments:

Carlene said...

That is awesome! I am 1/2 Polish myself (and 1/2 Hungarian). Both have awesome traditions and FOOD. OMG fax me a sauerkraut pierogi. Or mushroom...potato...

Era said...

Oh man, I will fax you one of my own sauerkraut peirogies and then one of the ones we make in the cooking class!

Nicole said...

Whaat!? I am awe-struck! Poland for Christmas!!! Oh boy---you are one lucky woman! Imagine all of the pierogies you will eat! Can't wait to see pictures!