Wednesday, August 29, 2007

She sells seashells by the seashore



A few weekends ago I was on the northern coast of California, dipping my toes in the frigid Pacific Ocean, looking up at the surrounding cliffs, one of four people on the beach. Last weekend I was at the Jersey Shore, sleeping on a towel next to the Atlantic Ocean, flanked by private beach clubs, getting sunburned along with thousands of other people. I don't know if I could have two beach experiences that are more different from one another.



My best friend and I spent two days relaxing at her house on the bay, talking about everything that's happened to us in the few months we've been apart. There was a lot to talk about. Her opinion and advice are invaluable to me, and seeing her was a crucial first step to my three week stay here on the east coast. I can think about a situation myself until I go crazy, but talking it out with someone, especially someone who knows all the history of it, usually helps me to clarify my thoughts.



Her house is beautiful, surrounded by gardens, and full of amazing furniture and art. There is a small dock out front, and I think these pictures really convey the feeling I had while there, the calm before the storm for both of us. She has started her law school orientation and there's no turning back now, so I'm lucky I got those few days with her before we both dove into the next few weeks.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully relaxing time you must have had.