Saturday, June 28, 2008

Verdolagas



This week we got purslane (verdolagas) in our CSA box (the greens on the far left). Along with green beans, cabbage, carrots, fennel, stockton red onions, potatoes, and summer squash.



I've just been picking the leaves of the purslane off and adding them to salads. They don't taste like much but according to the newsletter they are full of beta-carotene, magnesium, and potassium, as well as high levels of alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 essential fatty acid). You can also add it to omelets and soups. Yum?



On a different topic, I've decided to really start playing with the still-life potential of the CSA box pics. It's very difficult to frame the veggies well and I don't know that I have it figured out yet. The photo above is an example of one that I think is poorly framed, and the one below is much better. But I can't really verbalize why yet. But the veggies will help me learn!


No comments: