Wednesday, October 15, 2008

MY MASTER PLAN

My master's degree is almost finished. After one last meeting with my committee today, I will do a final edit and hand that sucker in.

So now what?

It's been a crazy couple of years out here in California. A lot has changed, but at heart, most things have stayed the same.

I came here with a love of environmental education, but with the aim to concentrate my studies in horticulture research, native plants, and habitat restoration. And I did that, for a while.

But the education side kept creeping back into my life. First with a series of T.A. jobs. Then with the "Kids in the Garden" program. And I've found that I just can't shake it.

So what have the last few years taught me? Above all, I've learned that my heart knows what I want, and my brain tends to get in the way. I've learned to refocus my efforts on environmental education with an eye for garden education and local food/nutrition outreach. The Bay Area leads the country in garden-based education, and I've been doing my best to learn as much as possible before leaving.

And I will be leaving, in about one month. I will be returning to Philadelphia, where I did my undergraduate education, and where M is still living. Philly is fast becoming the next big thing in garden and environmental education and outreach. Plus, I miss it.

I'm currently looking for a job in environmental education (I have one potential, keep your fingers crossed!). But my master plan is to open a community garden and education center in West Philadelphia, where I will be living.

This is a long-term project, and I expect it to progress slowly. But I will take you along for the ride. Thanks for coming this far with me!


4 comments:

Carlene said...

What a great post (and photo!), and congratulations! And yes, please let us know all about your new adventures. You are such an inspiration.

:)

Gentlewhoadie Apt One said...

So proud of you baby. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! You must know how I agree! It's so easy to forget how we already have all of our own answers---we just need to listen! Go get 'em!

Rosemary/sonrie said...

I just discovered your blog and I love what your long term career plan is! I have a similar dream, thought up many years ago, to have a community garden coupled with a community art therapy studio. I will continue to follow your blog.

I, too, am in my final semester of graduate school, and have been handing in drafts of my thesis - I am almost finished too!

Good luck!