Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday sudsing



My friend Vera has decided to organize a series of craft-together events this fall, aimed at making holiday gifts. This weekend a few of us got together and made soap!



We used clear olive oil soap and opaque white Shea butter soap, along with scents, dried flowers and herbs, and dyes. We melted the soap in ceramic bowls in the microwave, then mixed in the scent, dye, and dried leaves.



I only had a little bit of time to hang out and craft, so I made one batch of soap - Cucumber/Cilantro/Yarrow. I made mine by placing a yarrow leaf on the bottom of the mold and covering it with clear soap scented with cucumber. I then mixed the Shea butter soap with cucumber scent, a little bit of green dye, and crushed cilantro leaves. It only took a few minutes to set in the freezer and it was good to go!



I have some more supplies, so I plan on making a few more bars for friends and family this winter. And I love any excuse to use plants in my projects, being the plant nerd that I am. Woohoo, makin' my own soap!


(And here are Vera's angora bunnies that she is raising in order to spin their hair into yarn. It's sooooooo soft.)

3 comments:

Carlene said...

Seriously, I was just thinking the other day, I wonder how difficult it would be to make my own soap?

Also, bunnies for yarn! I want to get a goat for yarn (and cheese!) but the husband is not with me.

Era said...

C - It was so ridiculously easy, you should definitely try it. The only thing to remember is to get dye that is specific for soap-making; others might dye your skin. (and I'm rooting for you and your goat dreams! I bought a book recently from the 70s all about raising milking goats. One day . . . .)

Anonymous said...

That soap is gorgeous. I need to get my act together and get to some of those crafting get togethers!