Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Experimental College

The Experimental College is one reason why I love UC Davis. Back at Haverford, ExCo (as we called it) was an organization where students developed classes to teach each other a skill or learn a topic together, like knitting, Indian dance, book clubs, etc. Sometimes it didn't even happen because there weren't enough people interested, or no one was available to run it. But here at UCD, the Experimental College is a huge student-run organization which offers classes taught by students, faculty, or outside people or organizations. I just got the latest catalogue, and here is a typical selection of the type of classes offered by the Experimental College:

Alchemy
Intense LSAT Preparation
Rollerderby: Join the Sac City Rollers!
Super Smash Brothers Melee Made Easy
Backyard Beekeeping
Herbal Dream Pillows
Self Hypnosis Training
Past Life Journeys
Using the Energy of Your Chakras Every Day
Old Timey Fiddle
The DJ Program: Groove University
Drumming and Chanting
Conversational Russion - Fundamentals
Daoist Physical Culture
Aikido Body Arts
Chinese Kung Fu
Tai-Chi Doa Sabre/Broadsword
Hatha Flow Yoga
Funky Style Street Dance
Scottish Country Dancing
Iranian/Persian Dance

Some of these things I have never heard of. I giggled my way through the catalogue, but of course I want to take 100 courses and I have to control myself. Oh, if only I had enough time to join the roller derby team . . .

No comments: