Friday, March 16, 2007

In California, February showers bring March flowers

I have one more final left, but in the spirit of the warm weather I want to share a few wildflower pics before I start to study for it. The following were taken last spring at the Reeves-Reed Arboretum in NJ where I worked as a children's environmental educator.

Trillium grandiflorum - Snowy White Trillium


Aquilegia canadensis - Columbine


Pulmonaria sp. - Lungwort, cultivar 'Reginald Kaye'


Helleborus foetidus - Stinking Hellebore - it's only called this because the leaves smell bad when you crush them, just like a skunk cabbage. That's a clever adaptation against herbivory; you wouldn't want to keep eating something if it started to smell like skunk as soon as you took a bite.


These two I took this week at the Conservatory:

This is the gorgeous flower of Sparaxis elegans, a South African bulb in the Iris family. The conservatory has a large collection of S African bulb plants and they have been blooming all month. They are all small and brightly colored, though S. elegans has by far the most interesting color combination.


Finally, a nice cactus flower. Cacti are so paradoxical; their flowers are all bright and delicate with lots of soft petals. I'm not sure exactly what cactus this is.


1 comment:

Cornflower said...

Gorgeous flowers! I love the blue of the lungwort.