Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Home, sweet home?

Well, here I am back in CA, my home (?) I guess I've been here for over six months, though it feels like I never left Philadelphia. Each time I go back it feels as though I belong there, and it's always hard to remember that I have an entire life back here in CA. Strange. I saw a lot of great friends in Philadelphia and New York, I got to stay at home in NJ for a few days with my parents, and of course I stayed with M in Philly. Here are a few pics of M's neighborhood in Philadelphia (a few streets away from where I lived).



I work best on a small scale, so I took a lot of pictures of the railings of the large Victorian row houses because I couldn't get any good ones of an entire house. Plus, the railings are so interesting and colorful themselves that they speak well for the rest of the house.




This neighborhood in West Philly is pulled together by Clark Park, where there is a large area for sports, basketball courts, playgrounds, and plenty of benches. The Farmer's Market happens here, plus a monthly flea market and sometimes performances (like the amazing performance of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night that I saw for free last summer!). The sun came out powerfully on Sunday (how appropriate) and I got some interesting pictures of the shadows cast by the London Plane trees that pervade the park.




Finally, I took these last year. They are houses on my old street that I just drooled over every time I passed. Actually, before I moved to that street I would walk down it and wish I lived there, and lo-and-behold, I found a room to sublet for the summer in a house right next to the orange/yellow/green one (unfortunately, it was white).



I have lots and lots of pictures from this week, so be prepared for a bunch of posts with pictures coming up soon. I'm going back to PA/NJ for Easter weekend, which I am looking forward to immensely, partially because Easter is my favorite holiday. I'm not looking forward to the plane rides though. Last night there was a lot of turbulence on the plane and being there all alone was really not fun. As I age I am realizing that I have a little bit of my mom's claustrophobia (thanks, Mom!) and being shoved into a tiny seat next to the window, seeing lightening outside and thinking about the plane taking a nose dive was not how I wanted to spend that Monday night. Anyway here I am, safe and sound and writing to you, so no harm done (except to my nerves).

4 comments:

Carlene said...

Thanks for all the photos! I love the one with the bike on the porch so much. I feel your pain re the plane ride, but I've brought knitting on our last few trips, and it helps distract me. My husband brings a stack of graphic novels.

Gentlewhoadie Apt One said...

http://negrilnotes.com/gallery/g2data/albums/philly/philly-love.jpg

Cornflower said...

I'm not a great one for flying, either. I take Rescue Remedy, meditate and breathe deeply, then I remember that if it weren't safe the crews wouldn't do it for a living! Better luck next time.

Anonymous said...

I knew these photos had to be Philly before I even read your post. I live in Philly, Fairmount to be exact. I've been trolling the blog realm looking for more arty/crafty types to connect with here. Do you know any? Love the photos. They really capture the spirit of west philly. Still waiting for things to really start blooming here though.