Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wissahickon Valley Park

M and I went for a hike last Saturday at Wissahickon Valley Park, a stretch of woods that lines the Wissahickon Creek in the Germantown/Chestnut Hill area of the city. The area is really just opening up for spring, so the color palette is still browns and mossy greens.



However, I did manage to find a splash of color here and there.


There are beautiful stone arched bridges over the creek, many of which were built in the early 1800s. The path takes you underneath these bridges, and it's an easy climb up to the top, where the stone meets the hillside. These spots are great sites for graffiti artists. The yellow glow of the stone and the rich colors of the graffiti are so wonderful together. And there are some very talented artists in the area.





Here, M tries to explain why this piece is so great. It's all about how fine the lines are, indicating someone who has a lot of control over the spray can.


This piece was done by an artist named Bob, you can see his name at the top. We saw more of his stuff around the park, and in other areas of the city. I love how they seem to peek out from around the corner.


Philadelphia has some great graffiti, but nothing beats the graffiti I saw in Lisbon, Portugal when I was there with my family. It was gorgeous, but I don't have any pictures on my computer unfortunately, so you'll have to make do with this website instead.

No comments: