Monday, March 19, 2007

Lichen at Lassen

I finished my last final on Saturday morning and three hours later two friends and I were on the road up to Lassen Volcanic National Park to camp for the night!


It was 85 degrees in Davis when we left, and we rejoiced to see the temperature drop as we climbed up into the mountains. As soon as we turned into the park the snow bank grew and grew, until it was over our heads and the road just ended.


The road through the park was closed, but there is a campground that stays open year-round and we climbed the snow bank to pitch our tent in the snow.


It was my first time winter camping and it was pretty painless, though I will certainly get a better sleeping pad for next time because the cold was coming up from under me and it took me a while to fall asleep.


Today we drove up to the north entrance of the park and walked around Manzanita Lake. The lake was surrounded by manzanita shrubs with their smooth red bark, and pine trees that were covered in chartreuse lichen. I could not stop taking pictures of the lichen and none of them came out exactly to my lich-ing (oooooooooo, I'm so bad). But here are the ones that I ended up being happy with.





I am leaving for Philadelphia/NJ tomorrow for a week of spring break, so there may be a long pause in posts. Of course as I write this the nightly news is showing stranded travelers at the Philadelphia airport, some who have lost bags and others who won't be able to leave until Tues. So cross your fingers for me.

1 comment:

Carlene said...

Brrrr. I've never camped in the snow! But...Two words for happy camping:

Air. Mattress.

Have a great trip!