Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Projects: Finished and Un-, Good and Bad

Well I've been a busy little bumblebee. I made some more pins at the craft center out of fabric and origami paper (already folded, you can see the creases).


I also made the Lemon-Scented Quinoa salad recipe that's been in my "Projects" sidebar (I'm taking it off because I did it, and the link will be in this post instead). It was not very lemon-scented. It was actually pretty bad. Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't think so. I'm now on the look-out for more quinoa recipes to try. Also, I bought tahini for the recipe but I don't know what to do with it. Do I store it in the fridge or the pantry?

I'm taking an enameling class at the craft center and one of my projects is nearing completion. Here is a photo of it in-progress. It's going to be a little papaya pin, complete with tiny black seeds and everything. Stay posted for pics of the finished product. Enameling is basically a method of covering metal with glass. You apply the glass as a wet sand-type substance, then fire it in a special kiln. It's incredibly satisfying because there are a bunch of little steps to it and after every step the piece looks different. A very different process from knitting or something like that which slowly takes form.


I'm also in the process of weaving another scarf/table-runner. The first two I made with a Finnish Bird's Eye pattern which I'm doing again this time. I know very little about patterns, so if there's interest I can go look up the pattern but I don't know it off of the top of my head. But it's basically a series of diamond shapes with smaller diamonds inside them. Very pretty. More pictures when there is actually something to show.



Finally, I made a wonderful batch of snickerdoodles this afternoon, substituting a cup of whole wheat flour for some of the white flour. It actually gives it a slight crunch, a little bit more texture and it's a nice complement to the massive amounts of sugar in the recipe.



1 comment:

Michael said...

Tahini is like natural peanut butter. You should leave it in the fridge if you want to keep the oil and paste together, the pantry if you want to stir each time. (It separates naturally.)

Michael